Can you tell a real book review from a fake book review? Below are five tips that I have learned from my research. It is likely to be fake if:
1) It reads like a press release
2) It reads like the blurb on the back of the book
3) It is either extremely positive or extremely negative. Authentic reviews are more nuanced and tend to mention possible negatives even in 5-star reviews.
4) Fake reviewers are more likely to talk about themselves
5) Fake reviewers are more likely to address you the reader
The more of these signs you find in a review, the more likely it is to be fake. Now take the Fake Review Challenge and see how you get on!